To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Edwardian Tucked Bodice

I am currently in the process of making two new outfits for events that We Wear History will be attending in July.  I don't think I have ever tackled two projects at once as it tends to stress me out, but I am waiting for items that I ordered a while ago for a 1920s basketball outfit to get here and can't go any further until they do, so have switched to the other project until those items arrive.

One of the events is called the Capitol Comes To Life and the ladies of We Wear History have been asked to represent famous women from Idaho's history.  I have chosen Clara L. Campell, Idaho's first woman to be elected to the Idaho House of Representatives!  I will be sharing more of what I discovered during my research later, but she was a representative in 1899!!  Whoot Whoot Idaho!!!!

I have chosen to portray her after she was in office, more during 1905-1906.  Why?  Because I want to make and wear a "Votes For Women" sash.  Yes, I have an affinity for sashes and in my research, I found out that Clara was a suffragist and in my imagination, she wore a sash.  We are free to have a bit of artistic license....  And who doesn't LOVE a sash!!!???

I wanted to have Clara wear an Edwardian lawn bodice and linen skirt.  My mom gave me the left over sheer dotted swiss fabric from when she made her Edwardian outfit.  I turned to Pinterest to see if there were dotted swiss Edwardian bodices, and wouldn't you know it!  There were, and quite a many!!  Huzzah!!!!  One in particular was a great inspiration and so I set to work making mine!!!


Completed bodice awaiting it's dusty pink linen skirt!


The inspiration for my bodice.  This one was found on eBay.  LOVE the yoke and all the pin tucks!!!


The fabulous pattern I used.  The pin tucking was a pain in the neck....literally....but I think it was totally worth it!  I modified the yoke to have insertion lace and more pin tucks.  I know....crazy!!!  But the inspiration bodice demanded that I do it!!


Wonderful pouter pigeon breast!!  I will probably make the frilled corset cover from Truly Victorian to fill that front out and keep it pouting!!!


Yes, as I am a sucker for punishment, I modified the back yoke as well....


Close up of the tucks and lace!  Pretty pretty lace....


I adore antique lace!  It makes me so happy!!



*EDITED*

So this morning, I decided that I didn't like the lace only collar, so I re-did it using the pattern.  Of course I had to alter it and make it different from the pattern....But I like the altered collar better!

Well, I may or may not start on the skirt tomorrow.  It depends on how my back and neck are feeling!!

Be blessed my friends!!

g

28 comments:

  1. Lovely job on the pin tucked and lace insertion! I'm sure this is going to be a beautiful outfit.

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Quinn! I do love lace insertion, but it is very time consuming...but worth it! Can't wait to get the skirt and hat done!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  2. My goodness, all those tucks! You have the patience of a saint, and are well-rewarded with that gorgeous blouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Crystal! It was quite the study in patience I must admit! hahahahaha...something I am soooo not known for!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  3. Wow I am salivating over the insertion lace you used! What a wonderful job you did with all the fiddly tucks! It looks like an antique!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your awesome compliment my friend! That's the best to hear that it looks like an antique!!!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  4. Beeeeoootiful! I love it! Can't wait to see the pink linen skirt! I love the early 1900's :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ruth! And I agree with you! I love the early 1900s!!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  5. Wow. This is awesome. I thought it was an original at first! So delicate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Breanna! I love "I thought it was an original" comments the very best!!!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  6. Gosh, sooo many pin tucks! I love how you've got the dots exactly central on the front as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much BT! Those dots were such a pain. I actually laid the fabric out doubled to cut, and used silk pins to pin the dots together front and back so that they would like up nicely! Grrrrrrrr.....polka dots....grrrrrrrr....
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful job you did, Gina! I think all those pin tucks would have made me batty, but oh how they add so much texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cori! The tucks did drive me very batty.... Especially since I was using the dotted Swiss. I wanted to make sure the dots and the ticks lined up correctly..... Ugh. So yes.... Very bday was I!! Hahaha!!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  8. That is a work of art, literally. This is on my future planning board but love seeing how it came out for you.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Val! Can't wait to see yours!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  9. Oh wow! I thought this was an original when I saw the first picture. It looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoot!! Huzzah for "original" comments!!!! That is so what I strive for! Thank you Lauren!!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  10. It's amazing how much work goes into these blouses! And really most any Edwardian clothing!! I have two original blouses and several petticoats and camisoles. I enjoy all the details of them and give your major props for creating such as beautiful piece of clothing. :) And it's dotted swiss!! Oooohhh!!! Love it!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Emily! I agree with all the work that went into these garments. So fiddly and yet so beautiful! They really knew what get were doing didn't they!?
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  11. I love the new collar- the blouse is an airy confection! It is absolutely charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like that!! Airy confection!! Thank you my friend!!
      Blessings!!

      Delete
  12. Pin tucks always look so beautiful; and yours on this blouse are simply divine! I adore the swiss dot fabric, and the lace inserts... You've really done a stellar job with this blouse. It's lovely! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bonita!! I am really happy with how it turned out... And the swiss dot made me so happy as well!!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  13. WOW it is really REALLY impressive. Looks definitely like an antique blouse, it blows my mind away !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! Thank you so much for your fabulous compliment Sarah! That's what I was aiming for... Authentic!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful blouse! I'm glad to see that the pattern makes up so beautifully, I've been considering purchasing it for a while and could never bring myself to do it! XP You did an amazing job, I can only imagine how long those pin tucks took!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan! It went together really nicely... No problems at all!! I while heartedly suggest it!!
      The pin tucks took a long while, but was worth it!!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete