To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Monday, January 2, 2012

Ah...Delighting in a New Dress!







Ok, so here she is! My first attempt at a teens dress. I have dubbed her Emma. If you hang around this blog long enough you will come to find out that I name all my sewing things Emma...Anyhoo, after spending the last 8 years sewing strictly gowns from the Victorian era, I have decided that I am in LOVE with the Titanic era/teens era! Why, do you ask? Let me enlighten you as to my delicious findings...1) less yardage of fabrics 2)less bulk 3)less time involved in construction, and most importantly of all 4)NO PLEATING!!!! (Imagine if you will, a crazed evil genius scientist, head thrown back, a feverish look in bright eyes, a most maniacal laughter emanating from deep within a tortured soul....aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!!!!!) That is how I feel when I ponder the lovely fact that I will NEVER have to make ANY knife pleats to adorn a teens era gown EVER!!!! Did I say NEVER? Yes? Just making sure you got that point.

I have had for quite some time, a very lovely ivory shade of dupioni silk, black moire taffeta, soft ivory dotted netting, black eyelash lace, antique beaded trim (a gift from a great friend and talented lady) and an April Cornell skirt that gave its life so I can have awesome ribbon lace, just sitting around in my stash pile waiting to be turned into something wearable. One day I gave in to all the cries emanating from the pile and started draping Emma (my body form) in the styling of a 1912 dinner gown. I discovered that I owned a Laughing Moon Titanic dress and was thrilled beyond belief that I wouldn't have to draft my own pattern! Huzzah! A few days, and a few deviations from the pattern later, I tried on the new era of dress....and I loved it!!! Oh the joy! The pattern was sooooooooo EASY to work with and was such a great palette to just create from! I know that I will be making many more of this style of dress from my Mama and myself! I can't wait! Now I just need somewhere to wear it!

2 comments:

  1. I love this dress so much it's ridiculous. You have such wonderful taste and such an eye for trims and colors and fabrics. Talent, my dear! TALENT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kat. You always make my heart happy! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete