To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Sunday, October 15, 2017

1920s Wedding Accessories and Underwear!


Good Sunday everyone!  I hope that your week was a fabulous one!  Mine was busy, but it's over and I'm looking forward to next week when hopefully I start a half mourning, 1860s elliptical dress!

Today, I'm sharing the accessories and underwear that was made for the 1920s Robe de Style Wedding Dress.  And also my Mama's puppy, Chloe!


The Bridal Bouquet


I was so busy and really under the gun to get things (namely dresses) ready for the September "Dressing The Historical Bride" fashion show, that I just didn't have time to do the flowers that I wanted for three of the dresses.  Having done floral things in the past, and being so beyond excellent at making my visions come to life, I asked Mom if she would do the 1850s, 1914 and 1920s wedding bouquets.  I'm so happy she said yes, because as you will see, they were magnificent!!!




Isn't Chloe the cutest thing?  She is so fun and silly and happy and loving!  I want to steal her and bring her home, but Mom would be crushed and Greg would not be pleased.




And my Mom...she is just the cutest thing ever!  She made the bouquet out of new maiden hair fern bushes from Hobby Lobby, Boston fern bushes from the dollar store, beautiful bridal blush roses from Michael's, and antique lily of the valley that I pulled off of an antique hat...there were over 45 of them on the hat!!!  The style of bouquet in the 1920s had become ENORMOUS and for some fun reason, knotted ribbons, sometimes with flowers tied to them, sometimes not, were added to the bouquet.  As you can see in the following inspiration photos, Mom hit the nail on the head perfectly!!



Bridal Bouquet Inspiration





I just love the shape and size of these bouquets.  Many of them had asparagus and maiden hair fern and just a few flowers, usually roses.  The look was something very whispy and airy











The Veil and Gloves


Keeping with the look of the cloche in the 1920s, wedding veils became caps that resembled skull caps.  They were many times made of a lovely silk veiling and decorated with tucks, silk ribbon, silk ribbon flowers, waxed orange blossoms or fresh flowers.  Elastic was sewn into the edge to hold the veil snugly to the head!







The hem of the veil is embroidered with a serpentine, chain stitch.




To go with the dress, I chose antique, ivory colored, kid leather opera gloves!



Veil Inspiration

Many of the veils from the 1920s were exceeding long, probably to make up for the short skirts that were now in fashion, but on occasion, brides wore short veils.  Happiness for me, as my veil was on the shorter side!







The Underwear

For the underwear for the dress, I wanted to make a set of  "step-in" combinations and tap pants.  I should have made them out of satin, but I was out of money to purchase some and had pretty cotton on hand, so that's what I used!  I will, in the future, be making a satin set.





The underwear was edged in antique lace.




I patterned the lace decoration on the front of the step-ins after an image that I can't find right now!!  ACK!  I hate that.  It came from an antique catalog, so when I find it, I'll sneak it in!







The pattern used for the step-in combinations and tap pants was Past Patterns 501



Robe de Style Panniers

I must admit that I was most excited about this project because I could finally make these panniers!!  I think they are ridiculous and marvelous and jolly and fun!!  Plus, I can now make other Robe de Style dresses!  Huzzah!




I really wanted mine to be sheer with a pretty ribbon boning channel, with lace at the bottom flounce!






Pannier Inspiration





I really liked how this pannier was attached to a bodice.  Sort of like an extra element of modesty for the satin bodice of the dress.  Source:  The MET.




The lace at the hem came from this example from The MET.




I just loved the over all look of this one.  Also from The MET.




The pattern I used for the the panniers was the fabulous Laughing Moon 128



To finish out this post, one more look at the lovely Miss Adalea wearing the 1920s dress!  I could not get over what an incredible 1920s bride she made!  Almost made me cry!!















I hope you all have a wonderful next week!

Be Blessed!

g

9 comments:

  1. The flowers!!! Sigh! I adore the panniers as well- sheer and lace for the win! I still can not wrap my head around the scope of this project... You do sleep and eat once in a while right?!?! Huzzah my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear! Yes, I LOVE the panniers too! They were so fun! This project was my biggest one to date. I wish that I didn't eat as much! This is getting ridiculous!! hahahahah!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  2. Awww, Chloe is just the cutest thing ever!

    Your accessories are fabulous, and the bouquet is amazing - your mom is so talented. And I love all your inspiration photographs, especially how the bouquet in the second one is almost bigger than the bridesmaid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is a sweet heart! I love her!

      Thank you, yes, Mom is so very talented. The bouquets from this era were so crazy big! I hope they didn't weigh very much!!!!!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  3. Lovely! I did a double take of that black and white photo third from the bottom. It looks so perfectly period I didn't realize at first that it was not an original image! Yay! Great job all around!

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Quinn! The photograph editing was so fun! And Addy was THE perfect 1920s bride!!!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! I was thrilled when I got it and found out it was in such great condition!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete