To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Gold and Silver Wedding Anniversary Party



Good Sunday, almost Monday to you all!  I hope you all have been doing well!  I do want to thank all of you who wrote emails to me, commented on the blog, or messaged me on Facebook about my previous post concerning anxiety and stress.  You all truly blessed me and your thoughts and prayers are most coveted!  I am doing much better, especially since the weeks leading up to yesterday are over and I can now concertedly work on healing myself and getting back to my wonderful normal!  I am happy to report that Colton is doing much better as well and we are together working on getting back to us and making this summer a super fun one!!  Thank you for your kind words, thoughts and prayers concerning my sweet boy!!

Yesterday Mom, Dad, Greg and I along with our close family and friends celebrated our wedding anniversaries.  Greg and I celebrated 25 years on January 3rd and Mom and Dad will celebrate 50 years on October 7th.  Mom and I felt that a month that fell somewhat in the middle of the two dates would be a fabulous time to have a Gold and Silver Wedding Anniversary Party!  It was held The Bishops' House in Boise. Being a small venue, we had a limit on attendance, but it was a very intimate and lovely affair none the less! I had been wanting for many years leading up to this quarter of a century mark, to have a grand anniversary party in a fabulous Victorian House, where the attendees wore Victorian garb if they so chose.  But I didn't know anyone who 1) owned one or 2) would let us hold a party there!  Then we discovered The House and voila!!  Our plans started in earnest!

Warning:  This is a very heavy picture post!!



Anniversary "Party" and Family





My beloved husband and me







Our two awesome boys!







My Sweet Mama and Daddy.  They have been such a great example of what a Godly marriage looks like.  I love these two dearly!!







Mom, Dad and their FABULOUS children!!  My brother Matt and my sister Kelly and ours truly!




Greg's Mom, Pam flew in for the celebration!  It was so good having her there!




The "Groom" and his Mama!







Mom did such a wonderful job on her dress and she looked radiant!!



Decorations and Food!!


For the decorations, we chose to simply utilize the wedding artifacts we use in our "Dressing the Victorian Bride" program.  Easy Peasy!  We didn't have to purchase anything that we wouldn't use down the road!  Plus it added a very lovely feel to the Victorian House!



















My mementoes of my wedding day consisted of my shoes, Greg's cuff links and shirt studs, our wedding invitation and napkin, Greg's boutonniere, my garter, flowers from my wedding bouquet, repaired cake topper, our toasting glasses, our photograph, my dress and veil. 





Mom made a lovely shadow box filled with her ring pillow, original ring in the original box, show clips, garter, Dad's cuff links and tie pin and her going away bouquet.  She also repaired her cake topper, had her marriage license framed, a champagne bottle from their honeymoon, her veil, dress and photograph of the wedding party!










We were thrilled to be able to use the over the top punch bowl!!  It was such a fabulous addition to the serving pieces!




The cake came from Sugar Rush Cupcakery in Boise.  The middle layer was Pink Champagne!!!!




Marilyn and Aubrielle Holly were our party coordinators and they enlisted the help of my Mother-in-Law Pam, my Sister-in-Law Chrissy and my cousin Linda to help in the kitchen assembling the food that had been prepared the night before.  

The tea party-esque menu included:

Spicy egg salad sandwiches
Cucumber sandwiches
Roast beef sandwiches with herbed cream cheese spread and red root relish
Chicken, cranberry, cheese and almond sandwiches
Fruit stands
Vegetable stands
Scones with mock Devonshire cream and raspberry jam
Cream puff cups with custard
and
incredible cookies made by my sister!!!

We are so appreciative of all the work that went into keeping the food trays filled and looking FABULOUS so mom and I could enjoy our day!!  You ladies rocked!!!




In the middle of the table was placed Kelly's cookies.  She makes THE best sugar cookies I have ever tasted.  They are perfectly soft in the middle but with a little bit of a harder outer layer.  She made these blue (Mom's favorite color).  They were decorated with "W" for Walters and White, "50", "25", "G&G" for Greg and Gina and "R&L" for Ray and Lana!  Her labor or love (12 hours of work on Friday) was so greatly appreciated!  I'm actually eating one now!




One of the fun things we did was set up a Victorian "photo booth".  I wanted people to be able to take pictures using a great background and props to emulate cabinet cards of the past!  It was super fun!
















We even cut the cake, fed bites to each other and drank a toast with our arms intertwined

!

A good portion of our lovely guests!

We were so blessed to be surrounded by close family and friends who have prayed with us, walked through the good, the bad and the ugly times with us, dropped whatever they were doing to come sit with us or just simply lent an ear during times of sorrow, frustration or pain.  They have laughed with us over something ridiculous, shared moments of utter joy, let us be our true selves (without running away screaming!!), and in general supported us during this thing called marriage.  To them I say a heartfelt "Thank you" and please know that you have blessed us greatly!


















Surprise Vow Renewal Ceremony!!

One of the things that happened after the party was officially over was a vow renewal ceremony.  I hadn't wanted to do one but a few weeks before the party, I felt the urge to surprise Greg with one.  You see, our marriage hasn't always been as incredible as it is now.  Being raised differently and coming from different back grounds was a little bit like a radio trying to talk to a toaster.  We have both hurt each other and it has been really rough road, but God has been so faithful to the both of us and we have endured and our marriage is so much better than I ever thought it could have been!  So, I thought it would be a lovely thing to renew my vows to Greg.  I asked our dear friend Dave (who is a pastor) to perform the ceremony and he graciously agreed!  Talking to Greg afterwards he agreed that it was very special thing to do and that it meant a lot to him... "it was a very good surprise"!  He took the whole thing with his usual aplomb, he is that fabulous!




Greg and I walking down the aisle after Stacey McElyea had to "talk to us" downstairs while Mom, Pam, Marilyn and Aubrielle got everyone gathered around the Gazebo!























All in all it was a truly splendid day!  The weather totally cooperated, not too hot, not too cold!  It was joyful, non stressful and filled with happiness.  I am so grateful to my Mom and Dad for showing me that a marriage can be a good thing and to God for blessing me with my Greg, and Greg for not giving up on us and for those who are our cheerleaders!!

Here are two videos of the surprise vow renewal ceremony!  The short one was taken by Gracie McElyea and the longer one by Stacey McElyea.  I hope you enjoy them!

Photos taken by Colton and Mama!

Be Blessed my friends!

g





















16 comments:

  1. Well happy tears of happiness!!! You were in my thoughts all day. God is good indeed. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love those happy tears of happiness! Thank you my dear friend for thinking of us! One day we will have a worm hole shan't we? Indeed God is sooooo good!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful treasure. Thank you for sharing. Congrats to you and Greg and your parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Geri! And thank you for the Congratulations! I will pass yours on to Mom and Dad!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  3. Gina, as you always say to us, Blessing to you both on your 25th.
    The photo of you and your Mama in the "photo booth" is just precious.
    Love and hugs. Miss you. Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val, for your blessings! What fun! That photo booth was so much fun! It is so going to be a staple at our next parties! Hugs, love, and miss you too!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! Glad to hear things are looking up all around. You threw a lovely party!

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Quinn! It was so very much a fun and lovely party! I think it was the best I've ever had!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  5. How absolutely lovely. Your dress is simply stunning. Congratulations on twenty-five years, and on fifty years to your parents. What a perfect way to mark the occasion. I live in the Treasure Valley, but I've never seen the interior of The Bishops' House. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I have got to go see the inside of the House! Check their website for future "Open Parlours"! They are so lovely and a great way to tour the beautiful place! Thank you so much for your lovely compliments!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! It looks as though you all had a truly wonderful day. May there be many more happy years to come!

    It's lovely to see so many of your creations being worn in the photographs as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much BT! It was such a wonderfully grand day!! I had so much fun as did my husband and parents! I really like seeing my creations on others, it gives me a totally new perspective when I see them "not on me". Some of the ladies are part of We Wear History and the others were family members who wanted to join in on the fun!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  7. I absolutely love the photo of you and your mother and mother-in-law all in white gowns. Thank you for sharing your precious memories with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That was a pretty fun photo! It took several shots to get one where all three of us looked at the camera! hahahahaha!!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness! This is just fabulous Gold and Silver Wedding Anniversary Party. I loved watching these photos. Well, I also have selected this theme for my wedding party. But now not able to find suitable Los Angeles wedding venues. Was just wondering if you can help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry that I am just now responding! It didn't show up on my emails!!! Thank you so much for your lovely compliments! This party was just so much fun!! I don't know how I could help with a venue in LA as I live in Idaho...perhaps google Victorian Houses and Victorian venues, or contact a local museum to see if they could point you in the right direction. They should have a list of places that are Victorian-esque that are places to get married!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete