To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Saturday, April 22, 2017

The 1930s "WH Gina Dress" Meets the 1940s 844 Steam Engine!


Good Saturday night, almost Sunday morning to you all!  I hope this blog post finds you all well!  In between the crazy and the mundane I have been doing ok!  

This year the Boise Train Depot is celebrating its 92nd Birthday.  To help with the celebration, Eriks Garsvo (Eriks works with the Boise Parks System as "Conductor"/tour guide at the Boise Train Depot and also works closely with the Nampa Depot restoring a vintage caboose among other things) got the Union Pacific to bring the Union Pacific Heritage Steam Locomotive No. 844 to Boise for the celebration!  How totally cool is that?  VERY!!!  Since my sweet family couldn't be at the Birthday Party for the depot tomorrow as we are celebrating my Colton's 15th Birthday, we decided to go to the depot to watch the locomotive make its grand entrance at the depot and what a grand entrance it was!  Holy canoli!  It was so exciting and LOUD!  There is a video linked at the end of this post.  It was so fun to be able to watch this fabulous train make its way to our fair city!

Since I couldn't make it to Sunday's festivities, I decided that today would be a GREAT day to wear my Wearing History's 1930s "Gina Dress" and also take the opportunity to do a photo shoot.  My very talented son Colton was my photographer once again and did a fantastic job!  He is so awesome!


I tried a new tactic where my hair was concerned.  Instead of just twisting my hair back into a bun, I did a whole bunch of curls around my face and pinned them up, then twisted the hair back into a bun.  I know that I need a lot more practice in the hair area, but I'm getting there!  And I think I am getting better with the 1930s make up.  I'm thinking about investing in some Besame make-up as it's geared towards that lovely vintage look!

This time around with the pictures, I played around with some fun editing thinking it would be fun to have a more vintage look to the pictures Colton took.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed wearing this dress and the super fun time at the Train Depot!






The Hair and Make-Up










The Photo Shoot


\










 










I couldn't help being a goof here!  Colton was down below waiting to take my picture at the edge if a great precipice...Ok, it wasn't that great, but 10' into a pond of koi...ya, that's great!  Anyhoo, I think this is one of my favorite photos!



The Family Minus One
(Cody had to work late)




Aaaahhhh...my fabulously sweet husband!  He didn't want to take this picture with me because, "I'm not dressed for this!"  Whatever you handsome devil you!  You look gorgeous!




My Colton's Birthday was yesterday!  He turned 15!  I can't believe how old he is getting.  I love this young man so much!  He is funny, fun, has a great sense of humor, is kind, gentle, but sticks up for right and justice.  He loves his family and friends with a fierce passion, loves rap music and playing the guitar, and he loves Jesus!  I can't wait to see what the next 15 years bring!  Happy Birthday to you my son!!



Union Pacific Heritage Steam Locomotive No. 844











My friend Eriks the Conductor.  His face was beaming with his grin because he got to ride in the cab of the locomotive!  What fun!










The sound of the horn at the end of the video was almost deafening!  It was crazy awesome!


Ok, well, I am going to go to bed or I will be a zombie tomorrow.  I hope you all have a marvelous Sunday!

Blessings!

g

11 comments:

  1. Your dress is beautiful! Oh my No 844 is a lovely gal, isn't she. We have an engine up here that's sort of train-famous, 6060, a snow-clearing engine for mountain passes, but I rather thing 844 dwarfs her! It's SO COOL that Eriks got her there! (and got to ride in the cab! Many years ago my family took a tour of a trainyard and they let us drive a modern diesel for a few hundred feet, I bet a steamer would be even cooler!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Crystal! This was a super fun day and to be there when No 844 rolled in...well, let's just say that I felt like a wee little girl with all my giddy excitement! i would love to see your famous 6060!! The big "bumpers" that that type of train has are so impressive! Well, I think that all trains of old are super impressive! Just the power alone that they have is crazy awesome! My family toured a train yard in Utah one year, but we didn't get to drive the diesel!! What fun that must have been!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  2. Those red accessories are the BOMB!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michaela! I thought they were really fun!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  3. What fun posts you've been writing lately! I've been a bit behind in reading and commenting, but suffice to say it was for a preeeeeeetty good reason.....I got married!!! :) The Lord brought about so much goodness I can hardly stand it. To God be the glory!!!

    Anyway, your "Gina" dress story is fascinating and soooo special, and you did a fantastic job in recreating it! I am not much of a 1930's fan, but between you and Esther/Dolly Creates you are all convincing me it is actually kind of nifty! :) Besides the fact I have two original 1938 patterns to sew up this spring..... ;) I am so happy for you that Wearing History reprinted your pattern and even named it for you. How sweet! And then to see the different looks you can create with it, how fun.

    This event with the train looks like sooooooooooo much fun!!! I read up on the history of why this particular engine was special, and I can just imagine the fun you and your family had. And what a perfect opportunity to wear your new dress. :) I heartily approve!

    I know this is out of place, but your pink Easter dress also needs a comment, but I am too lazy to go to that post and write it out. So this will have to do. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! The dress, the details, and the bonnet. I've looked at that exact fabric a dozen times, and keep waffling back and forth whether it is too chintzy or downright darling. Seeing your dress made up from it sealed the deal that it is DARLING and I must needs look at obtaining some myself. ;) I love the white accents and how it is the perfect shade of pink! Maybe it will be destined for one of the vintage dresses I desperately hope to make this spring/summer...........you know, a new bride needs some *more* pretty clothes to wear, whether she is going to church or out for an adventure or whatever with her new husband! ;) ;)

    Have a great day, Gina! Looking forward to what you sew next!

    Sarah R. (not A. anymore!)
    from drippy, drizzly MN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sarah R!!! I am so thrilled for you!! Congratulations and I wish you and your new husband many, many happy and blessed years!!! Huzzzzaaaaah!!! Yes! I think that a new bride totally needs new and more pretty clothes to wear! I hope that you do get that pretty pink Wal-Mart fabric! They also have blue in the same print that my Mom got that would also make a sweet 1930s dress! I can't wait to see what you make with your 1938 patterns! I am so beginning to love that era, because 1) they are easy to put together and 2) they don't require a stupid amount of fabric!! Both dresses were so easy to assemble and I am so appreciative to Lauren for making these fabulous patterns available! And don't worry about being "lazy" when it comes to commenting...as you can see, I am just now getting back to your comment and it's been a week? I am so sorry and I do apologize for taking so long...But I am so thrilled about your wedding! I'm sure the day was wonderful! I hope it was everything that you planned it would be!!

      Blessings to you and your new family!
      g

      Delete
    2. Hi Gina! It was so, so fun to read your reply! I love how you respond to your "commenters". :) It has been a special few weeks settling into married life and being a WIFE at home, rather than a 31-yr-old daughter at home. (Although either one is a BLESSED state to be in!!!) I did indeed pick up that pink fabric, 4 yards of it, and cannot wait to sew it up. I found some navy with light blue/red/white florals on it at the same time, and I think I am going to sew that first, for Memorial Day! My husband served in Iraq, and while I'm not sure if we'll do anything for the holiday, I've not had any excuse for a patriotic dress since I was a teenager. So now I think I will make one, and use a vintage pattern to boot. :) And wear it with my new Tatianna ankle strap sandals. I saw the blue print too and have to admit I thought about it for just a second, but definitely decided on the pink. I can't wait to see your mama in her blue dress though! I can tell you two have SOOOO much fun together. What a precious blessing!!! Ha ha to the 1930's not requiring a "stupid" amount of fabric! While I have not made a bustle gown, I have made Civil War ones and they DO eat up the yardage. Especially the ruffled over-petticoats. I think I used 12+ yards of muslin in mine? Something like that. Anyway, I would love to send you a picture of my wedding, I think you would get a kick out of my dress and such. I will ask Esther (Dolly Creates) for your email if that's okay, so if get an unknown email it's probably from me! And thank you, thank you for your sweet comments! I really appreciate and enjoy them.

      Have a wonderful day!!

      Sarah

      Delete
  4. I love trains! We used to hear one a couple times a day running behind my aunt's house in Anaheim, when she lived 1/2 mile from Disneyland. And sometimes we could hear the one there, also all the fireworks every night.
    Now you need to get on that train in your 30s dress for more photos! :) Lovely photos, especially the ones walking down the stone steps.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to get on the train, but alas, it's no longer here and that weekend was just too packed with crazy family stuff! I love trains as well, they are just too cool, as you don't see them much any more! The steps pictures made me feel like I looked like the Queen Mother in the 1930s...don't know why, but that's the image I got!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  5. What a neat experience and fun way to take pictures! I think your hair looks great. The curls around the face help get that 1930s silhouette. Have you thought of enhancing your eyebrows for that 1930s dramatic look? I think that might be just the thing! :)

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Quinn! I am getting better and more comfortable with Vintage hair... Funnily enough, I had totally darkened my eyebrows! That is just how light they are! hahahahahaha!! I'll have to practice a bit more and see if it looks good. Thank you for the tip!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete