When I first started "collecting" mourning dress images on my Pinterest board Mourning Fashion, I came across this dress that is housed in The MET. It is made of black moire. Mourning. Moire. Moire. Mourning. Can we say match made in heaven? Loving all things mourning and loving moire, how could I resist recreating this dress? Well, it is finally complete. It took me a while to locate and purchase the fabric, which I ended up acquiring from Hobby Lobby, but acquire it I did! Huzzah! I am so happy this dress is complete. I don't think I have ever had such an issue completing a bodice as I did with this one. It was a colossal pain in the butt. I almost didn't finish it, so frustrated with it did I become on several occasions. But, I pushed through and happiness is the final outcome!
Also, an aspect of this project was a first for me. The use of fringe. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to those who love/adore/appreciate fringe. You see, they remind me of Halloween store flapper costumes and B-Western cowboy shirts. There is nothing wrong with the previous items, but to see fringe on a lovely Victorian dress? It has taken me quite a while to come to terms with this. I guess the fact that the Victorian dresses came before the 1920s flapper dresses and B-Western shirts helps quite a bit. Wanting to stick with the spirit and originality of The MET dress, I chose to use fringe on mine as well.
The only thing I have to do to complete the entire project is to make a hand sewn eyelet lace collar and lengths of hand sewn eyelet lace for the under sleeves. At this point I am totally procrastinating as I don't want to design it right now...
Inspiration for my dress. Source: The MET
The fringe. I am still sort of cringing at the fringe...
I had to make a separate peplum for the back of the bodice. When the peplum was attached, the bodice refused to fit correctly. It pulled and did all sorts of nasty things. However, upon some research, I discovered that there were other bodices that had separate peplums! Huzzah for that!
Bodice: Simplicity 4510
Sleeves: Simplicity 2887
Skirt: me made
Because I needed more new underwear for this project, I also made a new petticoat trimmed with antique eyelet lace and cage crinoline.
Pattern: Self drafted
Beautiful antique eyelet lace trims the petticoat.
Pattern: Truly Victorian 141
Fabrics: cotton and gros grain ribbon
So now I get to design and make the eyelet lace bits. I do have several inspiration images that will guide me, so that part is over...
I hope you all have a marvelous rest of your week!