Oh my heavens. I cannot believe how busy life has gotten and been these past 5 months. So busy in fact that I have had an anxiety attack since last Saturday. All the things/events/end of school stuff that are going on, are putting stress on my serotonin level and I believe I have sucked it all dry! But not to fear! I know why I am feeling what I am feeling and after all the things are done that need to be done, I am going to be taking a big break from all the things/stress/anxiety that come from outside sources and get back to being a wife, mother, and costumer full time! The word "no" will be in my vocabulary quite a bit I believe!
In between the hurried pace of life, I have had the chance...nay...I have fled to the sewing machine for peace, quiet, solitude and creative space to work on my 1920s dress for the upcoming Gatsby to Gangsters event at the Old Idaho Penitentiary. Last night I was able to put the finishing touches on the dress and I now deem it complete! Well, except for the black bow on the front. I am not sure how I feel about it and may very well fiddle with it before its wearing.
Sadly, Emma is very thin and doesn't wear this frock as it should be worn, so keep that in mind while looking at the pictures!
I decided to use some of the diamond shaped buttons I purchased in Port Townsend for this dress! I only bought 8 of them. I don't know what I was thinking as Victorian dresses require more than 8 buttons, but they were so fabulously gorgeous I had to get them!
Beautiful button. It's shiny here but in real life it is rather flat and quite old!
Inspiration came from this dress. I just loved the look of the whole thing! On my dress, I did some horizontal pleats at the "waist". I did make pleats at the front of the skirt, but also the back of the skirt. They swish really nicely when I walk!
hahahahah!! This cracks me up as Emma has no legs, so the skirt looks so silly!!!
For sleeves, I wanted something that looked elegant and a little bit exotic. So, I used the pattern below...
Past Patterns' 2149 Ladies' One Seam Sleeves View C2. It was so easy to make and I didn't even have to alter it!
On to the cloche!
I wanted a black straw hat to go with the fabulous antique ribbon I found and so had to make a new one from scratch. Grrrrrrrr...this added a little bit of stress to the whole Month of Stress, but I got it completed and it's ready to wear!
I wanted the brim to be a bit wider than a short brim, but not as wide as my HUGE wide brim black and yellow cloche.
I decided that this cloche needed a buckle, so I used one of my Great Grandma Cornelia's buckles...I think it looks fantastic on the hat!
Well, now all I need to do to complete the ensemble is make a new necklace. I will either just make a black bead one or perhaps if I find some gorgeous salmon colored beads, it will be salmon and black!!
Be blessed my friends and I wish you no stress!!!