To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Sunday, September 29, 2013

1863 Hair Style!

Yesterday was The Museum Comes To Life day at the Idaho State Historical Museum and our group, We Wear History attended in style!  I was finally able to wear my 1863 semi sheer Damask Rose Dress and wire frame bonnet!!!  Yeah!!!  I was thrilled with how it all came together and the look it effected!!  But first I had to "do" my hair in an 1863 style.  Never having worn a bonnet from the 1860s, I had to do this right.  What I mean by this statement is...I have so much hair, long and thick, I couldn't simply put it in a bun at the back of my hair and make do.  Tried that and my bonnet stuck waaaay out and off my head!  Also, I like to really look as original and authentic as I can with my dressing.  

Mom and I stayed up until 3 the night before working on her dress and when I finally fell into bed, my mind would not shut down.  It absolutely refused to shut down!  I hate that!!!  So, instead of just laying in bed thinking and worrying, I researched 1860s hair styles and found two fabulous tutorials on YouTube....



Watching both of these filled me with the confidence I needed to manage a proper hairstyle that would both look good and would wear nicely under my bonnet!!!


Of course I would get the center part off center....Just like me!!  Off Center!!




Not too shabby for the first time out!!  Next time, I'll attempt to tame the natural wave out of the back by the part....


All in all I was very happy with how the hairstyle turned out and it looked great under my bonnet!!!  Thank you ladies for sharing your tutorials!  You saved my hair!!

Blessings!

g

No comments:

Post a Comment