Oh I am so thrilled! It is finished! IT IS FIIIINIIIISHED!!! She said while tears of joy and relief streamed down her weary worn face!!! The Sailor Dress of Curse is complete! I can put away my sewing machine for a bit, clean up my room, re-organize the mess that is now my sewing cabinet and rest in the joy of another project in the "done" category!
Now all that is left to do is try it on and make sure it fits! I took some photos of the dress today, attempting to emulate the way Contentment Farm photographed the dress....Edwardian Tennis Dress
So, for The Historical Sew Fortnightly that the Dreamstress hosts....
The Challenge: #8 By the Sea
Fabrics: Ivory dupioni silk and blue striped cotton for the fashion fabric
Baby blue dupioni silk and baby blue linen for the lining
Pattern: Skirt: Butterick 4092 Severely mutated
Bodice: TVE41 1903 Plain Blousewaist, modified
Sailor Collar: Drafted that baby myself!
Notions: Antique shell buttons, metal hooks and eyes, Coats and Clark poly thread
How Historically Accurate is it?: Um...not too good with math so can't do a percentage, but I would say pretty accurate as I patterned it after an extant garment. The thread, not so much.....
Hours to Complete: I honestly don't know. I don't really want to know how much time I spent re-doing what I did that was oh so wrong....Way too many hours for a project I thought would be "Easy"!!!
First Worn: I plan on wearing this on June 8th of this year...
Total Cost: All of everything that was used to make this dress was taken from my stash....but I do remember what I paid for everything because silk on sale in this city is most noteworthy!
5 yards of ivory dupioni at $8.00 per yard = $40.00
1 yard baby blue dupioni at $4.00 per yard = $4.00
3 yards baby blue linen at $2.00 per yard = $6.00
blue on blue stripe sheet at $5.00 = $5.00