To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Dress Inspirations....There are a Multitude!

I have had many friends, costuming and non-costuming alike, who ask me where I get my inspirations for the dresses I make.  At that point in the conversation, my eyes usually glaze over, I start to drool, and my heart begins to palpitate.  You see, there is such a glorious variety of inspiration for the creation of Victorian and Edwardian dresses....well, any dress actually.  I use fashion plates, antique photographs, extant dresses, movies, paintings.  And don't forget color inspirations!  I have found color inspiration from a lotion bottle.  Yes, a lotion bottle.  I have a tube of Black Raspberry Vanilla body cream from Bath and Body Works that exhibits luscious shades of a deep plum and black!!  Here it is...


Isn't it lovely?  You can find color inspiration anywhere and everywhere you look!  I love looking at flowers.  Fushias, lilies, roses, clematis, pansies....talk about your perfect color combinations.  Or fruits and veges!  Watermelon.  Corn.  Dragon Fruit.  Strawberries.  Raspberries.  Believe it or not, if you find a color combination from nature or a lotion bottle, chances are the Victorians, Edwardians, Romantics, and Colonials have already beat you to it!

In these next 4 or 5 posts, I will be sharing some of the places I draw my inspiration from.  I hope you find it useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment