To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Monday, December 19, 2011

A Silk Purse from a Sow's Ear





No? Ok, how about a 1912 dress from silk curtains?

My Grandmother, Iva Patterson, was a very talented and creative lady. She could take a cutting from a rose growing in a friend's garden and get it to grow. She could look at a dress in a clothing catalog, draft a pattern in that style and make the same dress. She was very thrifty and frugal. I kind of like to think I have a bit of her in me. I adore finding an item at a thrift store that someone has cast aside and use it to create something lovely for my home or myself.

Take for instance the find I found the other day! I had happily fled the madness that my two boys were gleefully creating at home and found solace at JoAnn Fabric. Finding nothing of great importance there, I carefully drove across the street, dodging the crazies out finishing their last minute shopping, to peruse the goods that Savers had to offer. I had just finished checking out their shoe and fabric section when a light from heaven beamed down upon white silk and the angels let forth with glorious song...there before my eyes, hung a glorious sight...two 45" by 3 yard winter white silk dupioni drapery panels, complete with wonderful cotton linings!!! Sweet Mother of Pearl! Now I just have to decide what dress needs to be made! So far, I have 3 candidates....

3 comments:

  1. Seriously? I need that kind of thrift store here, I never seem to have sewing supply luck in thrift stores! I love the inspirations and the bonus points for uber cool thrifty-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, get on over here and we shall hit them all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!! I need to scour the home dec dept of Marshalls and TJ Maxx more often for unexpected fabric finds!

    ReplyDelete