To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Switches Can Be A Good Thing!

But only if you are referring to the kind of switches/rats that ladies of the Edwardian Era used to make their hair look fabulous!  Years ago, I attempted to make my own switch with a pair of pantyhose...yes, new ones...and some batting.  Well, let's just say that experience was an epic fail.  I don't know if I had too much of my own hair or if the switch was HUGE, but it just was not a happy thing.  Well, my friend Josie just came back from The Costumer's Lost Weekend in Dallas and attended the Big Edwardian Hair class.  Pictures of this class are posted on flickr and after looking at them, I had a
"ohmygoshIamsogoingtotrythisbecauseitlookssoradicallyawesomeandIamsoexcitedtogiveitatryagainohmygoshohmygoshOHMYGOSH!!!!" moment
Translation, "Ohmygosh!  I am so going to try this because it looks so radically awesome and I am so excited to give it a try again!  Ohmygosh!  Ohmygosh!  OHMYGOSH!!!"
Needless to say, I was so excited to try this that my rat/switch was just kind of whipped together without regard to neatness.  I used my extra hair that I had left over from making my curled hair piece and two brand new nylon knee highs.  I tied the ends of the stockings together and used safety pins to connect the toe ends.  Not period correct, but that's ok.  Hopefully no one will see the pins under my hair!  Here is the link to flickr...


Just follow the photos to the right to get the full effect of how to make this chignon!  So totally awesome!



+


+


=


Not too bad for an, "I know I just got of the shower, but want to give this a try RIGHT NOW" moment!


Gina the Gibson Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment