To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Green Tomato Chutney, a la BBC

Today was a super busy, but fulfilling day.  I started out having coffee with one of my neat-o cousins. She is in from out of town to spend time with her mom who is in the hospital.  We had a short visit, but it was lovely seeing her again!!

Next on the docket was raking leaves at a house where the lady was bed-ridden.  We have an annual event here in town called "Rake Up Boise" and Cody's class raked leaves for their November community service project.  It was fun, but hard work.  I LOVED the yard that we raked.  It was jam packed full of herbs, flowers, bushes, roses and ivy.  It reminded me a lot of English country gardens.

Then it was to the hospital to visit my Auntie who is recovering from an infection.  If you would keep her in your prayers, I would greatly appreciate and I know she would as well!  It was good to visit with her and another Aunt who had driven to town with my Uncle for a visit.

After stopping at Hancock's to purchase two Simplicity patterns that were $0.99 then to JoAnn's for some black hem tape, it was to home for making what I have affectionately dubbed "Cheese and Cracker Crack".  I blame my addiction to this glorious concoction on my fabulous friend Sarah Sargeant.  It is over the top aaaaaawesome!!!  

THE RECIPE:


Here are the changes made from the recipe as some of the things are a wee bit different here (according to Sarah)...

Dark brown sugar in place of muscovado sugar
Apple Cider vinegar with 2 tsp allspice in place of spiced pickling vinegar
Dark raisins in place of sultanas (or golden raisins which over here are sultanas)
Granny Smith apples in place of cooking apples
I also chopped the tomatoes instead of slicing them 

I ended up simmering the stuff for over 1 hour (about 90 minutes in all) and, because I have been filled with the fear of botulism (thank you USDA) I did a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

This stuff is so very addicting.  Yes, you can eat it right away, but it gets better with age.  Pair it with an extra sharp cheddar and water crackers for a most delicious treat!!  I am positive it would be delightful with an afternoon tea!!



The chutney cooks up dark and gets darker as it ages.


Oh my deliciousness!!  Cody, Colton and I devoured a half pint in minutes!!!  One really should take time to savor this treat, but the addiction is just too much!


Mmmmmmmmm....

And for cute's sake...

Kitty pictures!!

This is S'mores.  She is a wee little thing, found weeks ago at a job site on a burn pile.  The people who found her believe that Mama was killed and S'mores was left to find food for herself.  The people who have her have totally and completely spoiled her!  And with that sweet face, who can blame them?


A kitty selfie!  She was so funny watching herself on my phone!


I love this picture of her in the hood of her owner's hoodie.  That is where she stayed (or on his shoulder or up his sleeve) until someone swiped her away for some kitty time!!

I hope you had a most wonderful day and if you decide to make this chutney, you won't be disappointed!!

Blessings!

g

No comments:

Post a Comment