Wow. This sewing season is taking forever! Between Colton's schooling, Cody's schooling (he is graduating in May? What? When did that happen!!??), various meetings and such, my sewing time has taken a big hit. But that's ok, because I am now in the realm of all things vintage, which means the time needed for making a garment has dwindled to roughly a 6th of the time it would have taken to sew a complete Victorian garment! Can I get a Huzzah???!!!
The next item in the 1930s Fall ensemble I wanted to work on was a blouse as I would need that in order to get the fit of the jacket right. I had planned on using a really sweet vintage pattern that I won on eBay, but had misread the bust size. Thinking it was a 38", I merrily sewed up my mock (thank heavens it was a mock and not my fashion fabric!!!) only to discover upon trying it on that it was seriously too tight. Then I re-read the pattern envelope and saw that the bust was 36". That is a significant size difference from my 40" size. I have a HUGE rib cage and that can really effect how anything vintage fits me. I have a feeling that the size of my ribs may also have an effect on vintage patterns.
I had a few days prior to the making of the mock of despair, been sent a gift of Wearing History patterns from Lauren, and in that gifting was a super adorable 1930s Tea at Two dress pattern. I looked over this pattern and saw that the top and peplum part of the dress would make a PERFECT blouse pattern! I didn't particularly want a collar on the blouse as the jacket has a collar and in my modern wardrobe, when I have to fight a collar on a blouse and a collar on a jacket it ends up being a pain in the neck. hahahahahaha...did you get that? Ahem...anyway, I ended up leaving off the collar that comes with the pattern for the dress and I am loving the way the blouse ended up!!!
I used a semi sheer silk fabric that I had in my stash...let me say a few things about the fabric. I hated working with it. I don't generally adore working with sheer, flimsy fabrics as they are hard for me to work with. My fingers are calloused and have a hard time with the fine "hand" needed to work with these fabrics and this particular fabric was no exception. I ended up flat felling and french seaming most of the seams, which did make for a nice clean finish.
The pattern was a total and complete DREAM to work with! The pieces went together perfectly, the instructions were awesome, and I had absolutely no problem with anything in the pattern! Can't wait to make the dress in its entirety, with a totally different type of fabric of course!!!
I did end up making regular button holes and not the bound ones that the pattern calls for, as I felt that attempting them would cause me to relegate the unfinished garment to the burn pile, so next time this pattern is made, I will attempt them!
Sheer, silk 1930s Tea at Two blouse! I am going to have to find a slip that will be suitable for 1930s until I have the fabric, time and inclination to make one! I love the look of this blouse with the sleeves and the vestee!
I did have to shorten the sleeves as they were entirely too long. But, I have to do that on all of my sleeves.
I did make a seam in the back of the blouse as the fabric I was working with wasn't wide enough to support an "on the fold" cutting.
The buckle I used was one found in the drawer of my Great-Grandma Cornelia's sewing machine cabinet. It is a cool rust red that matches the rust red in the plaid of the skirt perfectly!!
Vintage buttons found at a local antique shop. Holy cow, I just now noticed that they are sewn on crooked! hahahaha!! Awesome!!
Here is the link to where you can check out the Mid 1930s Tea at Two dress pattern!!
Ok, I am off to work on the jacket for this outfit!! Maybe I can complete it today? We shall see!!
Have a most wonderfully blessed day my friends!!
Love this! It just looks so fresh and airy, and I can see it working well for the springtime too!ReplyDelete
Thank you so much Gabriela! I agree with you about it working well for the spring! Will have to work on a skirt for that time of year! Maybe a green linen.....Delete
Lovely!! You are just whipping these projects out so quickly! Putting me to shame... ;-)ReplyDelete
And if you're looking for a wonderful slip pattern, I highly, *highly* recommend Folkwear's "Intimacies" pattern- #219 http://www.folkwear.com/219.html SO comfortable AND easy!
Thank you so much Lily! It really feels like I am stuck in mud with my sewing as I am not doing as much as I would really like, but that's ok! And you have been on a fabulous vacation which I think is a fabulous excuse!! That intimacies pattern looks wonderful! I will be putting that on my "to get" list! Thank you!Delete