To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Grecian Lady for a Teen's Era Masquerade Dress

So...today I have had one of those moments of spontaneity that comes from feeling well, the house is clean, the boys are content to entertain themselves, the laundry is done, it is 105 outdoors, I don't have to sew for anyone else, and I feel the need to do something flippant and fun for myself!  Enter a Natural Form Era fashion plate that jumped out of my computer, slapped me across the face, took hold of the rational part of my brain, crushed it to death, and screamed "MAKE ME!!!!".  Ok!  I have wanted to make a Greek Empire dress for many, many years, but don't have anywhere to wear one except in my house while I am vacuuming.  What do you do when you want to make a dress form a totally different era than you are used to?  You make said dress into a masquerade dress from the nineteen-teens era of course!  Also, this will make my OCD happy as if I were to make a Greek Empire dress, my geeky part brain would insist that I hand stitch it out of natural materials....I don't have time for hand sewing AND I don't have money for Greek Empire reproduction fabric!  GREAT!!!!  I am so excited!!  Can you tell!!!


Said fashion plate that I will be attempting to emulate! 


Lovely fabrics.  I adore the colors of these fabrics.  They look so cool and refreshing to me!!!  I got the blue at Savers and the green at JoAnn's for something like $1.00 a  yard...I almost wrote pound!  I am so excited my brain isn't functioning properly!!!


A hasty draping on Emma....fun!


Shoes I found at Goodwill!!!



A still from "Sparticus: Blood and Sand"....Very um...gritty show, but the costumes were so incredible!  The dresses look very teens-esque and the hair was very much emulated in the teens as well!!!  wooh woot!!!

Ok, enough talking...on to sewing!

Oh yes,  I am going to be using the Laughing Moon Teens era pattern for the under dress and then just drape the over dress!!!  Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment