To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Beading...really?




Well, yes. So, I have this affliction. I cannot do anything the easy way. A few years ago, I had the pleasure of working with the wonderful costume lady for the play "Oklahoma" at Northwest Nazarene University. I was in charge of making a dress for Aunt Eller. There was just one problem. It had to be plain. No lace? No! No pleating? No! No ruching? No!!! My brain went into some sort of comatose state and it took me a few days to talk the creative part of my brain into taking a sabbatical! But, I got over my dismay and Aunt Eller had her green, very plain, most boring dress.

So, it is without any shock whatsoever to myself, that I have taken a very simple dress that should have taken me a day to make and have decided to bead it. Grrrrrrr....curse you creative side of brain! Whatever.

Anyway, I was kind of bored with the hem of the collar and decided that it needed a wide border, and that border needed a beaded design. Off to JoAnn's (LOVE that store!!!) I went with my chiffon sample in hand to match border material and beads. I decided on avocado green taffeta, green and teal faceted glass bugle beads and light teal glass seed beads. Purchase in hand, I headed home to fiddle around with designs. I finally decided on a squiggly vine with small flowers...I also found the outer hem of the collar to be rather boring with just the teal threaded zigzag, so I sewed glass bugle beads spaced slightly apart! It think it turned out rather well!

No comments:

Post a Comment