To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Friday, January 20, 2012

Ruth's Butter Yellow Tea Suit






Ok, so I know that everyone raves on and on about Rose DeWitt-Bukater's outfits, and yes they are fabulous. The Boarding Suit, The Jump Dress, The Flying Dress, The Swim Dress, The Luncheon Dress. They are all wonderful and the color combinations are so different and not the norm. But, have you ever stopped to look at her mom's dresses? I don't know if it is that I am old enough to be Rose's mom, or that I like to do my own thing and not follow the crowd...but I simply just LOVE Ruth DeWitt-Bukater's wardrobe! Yes, we see her now a-days in our rights for women and feminist world as being the worst possible mom in the world. But consider the world and age she grew up in. A world where men ruled the roost and women did not have rights. Period. So yes, she was pushing her daughter towards an advantageous marriage with a maggot, but in her own way, she was trying to gain comfort and stability (albeit monetarily and with a man who viewed his wife as an ornament to show off his wealth) for a daughter who did not hold to the same ideals. So, in that way, I do respect her...Just wish that she could have found a nicer guy for Rose...but then again I didn't write the screen play!
Anyhoo, when Ruth is having tea with the Countess of Rothes and another lady, she is wearing a suit that reached right through the tv screen and slapped me very unceremoniously across the face and screamed, "MAKE ME!!!" So, being the obedient seamstress, I am gathering fabrics, ribbons, shoes and millinery accouterments to fulfill my OCCD affliction! (OCCD=Obsessive Compulsive Costuming Disorder...a term lovingly applied to costumers by the Carolina Belle Fannie Kickinshoot...) Here is what I have assembled so far...
Butter Yellow Cotton with slubs
Butter Yellow faux dupioni embroidered with leaves and fun swirls
Butter Yellow ribbon for hat
Ivory shoes...because I haven't been able to find any yellow yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment