To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Friday, December 4, 2015

Christmas Separates Fabrics Update...


I am so thrilled!!!  One could possibly say I am "Pleased as punch"!!!  I have been getting things together for my 1950s Christmas Separates project and have been stuck on the polka dot print fabric.  I literally looked all over the valley (except a quilting store in Nampa I think) and came up with zero white with gold polka dot fabric.  There was something that perhaps may have worked at one of my favorite quilt stores, but it was $11.99 a yard and I was wanting 2 yards.  That currently is way out of my costuming budget.  I considered some of their white with black polka dot fabric that was a little less and was thinking that maybe 1.5 yards would be ok, but was still uneasy about the cost.  I toyed around with maybe making my own white with gold using white cotton and gold paint.  Wishing to keep my sanity and most of my hair, I quickly dismissed that notion.  

I did find some pretty wonderful white with gold polka dot fabric online... Michael Miller glitz metallic quarter dot.  But again, the price caused me to hesitate.  That and the fact that ordering fabric online causes me to break out in hives.  So back to the search.  

On my way home from a dress up event last night, I decided on a lark to stop by one of my local Wal-Marts just to see what they had.  I just almost shrieked with joy (nope, I most certainly did shriek with joy scaring the fabric lady) when I saw the white with gold polka dot fabric below.  I quickly scanned the surrounding fabrics to see if they had any bigger dots, but no they didn't.  I said to myself, "That's ok...we will see if they have any white with black dots."  They did!!!  Not the 3/4" sized dots, but the end of a pencil eraser size, and in a more usual polka dot pattern.  I took both to the cut counter along with a red cotton that looked similar to the shade of my silk.  I went and got a roll of 3" wide ribbon to emulate a sash and laid both polka dot fabrics down, then the red fabric then the ribbon where the dots and red met to simulate the outfit.  

I did not like how the white with black polka dots looked at all.  This made me ridiculously happy that I hadn't spent the over $20.00 on the quilt store fabric!!  I was very surprised however, to see that the white with gold polka dot fabric looked exceedingly well with the black "sash" and red "skirt".  

HUZZAH!!!!!!!

Now do you want to know the best thing?  It was $5.44 a yard and I had my JoAnn's coupon for 60% off any item with me.  This brought the grand total of my white with gold polka dot fabric to $5.45 for the two yards I was wanting in the first place!!!!!!!!!!  Oh was I thrilled as I walked to the car with my very fine cotton fabric!!!

I did have a little moment of panic when I looked at the inspiration and remembered that the dots are in your typical polka dot "pattern".  But, I am beginning to allow myself the freedom to NOT BE 100% PERFECT when it comes to recreating things.  Plus, I remembered that Lily of Mode de Lis made a deliriously adorable dress with polka dots that are in a random pattern, it's her Gold Dotty Birthday Dress.  If Lily (who is an incredible vintage dress maker and wearer) can do it, then I totally can!!!  Plus, I found extant examples of asymmetrical polka dots here and here.

I took some pictures of the fabrics together using my phone and of course the color of the dots isn't as crisp in the photos as it is in person, but you can see how the two fabrics will look together! 



Christmas Tree Outfit #1



Fabulous gold dots all spaztically arrayed on the fabric.  Sort of like me!  Spaztic!!


Source:  No Excus



Christmas Tree Outfit #2

For #2's dress, I needed a black fabric for the sweet little blouse the inspiration is wearing.  I have had in my stash for a very long time a black plaid in raw silk.  I was going to use it for a Regency half mourning dress, but "need" this black now so will use it.  Hopefully there will be enough left over, but since they really didn't use raw silk in the Regency era (or so I have read), I may need to find something else!


I found the raw silk at a local thrift store!  There is quite a bit of it!


Source:  Etsy



The Coat and Its Lining


For the lining of the coat, I have decided to use a fabric that was earmarked for an 1890s dress.  However, since I am making this outfit right now, and have no idea when I will be making the 1890s dress, I am going to use it for this project.  Going with the black and red theme, I think it will be perfect!  

PLUS!!!  I am going to make a black and white gingham dress like the inspiration below to wear with the coat!!


Lining for coat!  Too fun and from the stash!



OHMYHEAVENS!!!!  Isn't this outfit the most adorable thing ever?  Ok, maybe not THE most adorable thing ever, but it is still pretty adorable!  I think it will look pretty spiffy in black and red!!!

Ok, so now I am just waiting for the Vogue coat pattern to get here so I can see if I can get all the red silk pieces out of it...kind of skeptical about fitting the bolero onto it (pray that I can!!!).  This weekend is pretty packed, so will more than likely start this whole project next Monday!  I'm totally chomping at the bit here folks!!!

Have a wonderfully blessed weekend my friends!

g

12 comments:

  1. Mmm, yummy! That dress No. 1 and the last one make my mouth water and my heart beat faster. Which of these beauties do you think you will start with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosa!! Aren't these Christmas cards wonderful!!?? I want to make every one that I have seen! I actually just completed the full circle skirt last night! Today I start on the polka dot blouse...
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  2. I'm dying of fabric envy. ;) Your fabric choices are SO perfect!!! I can't WAIT to see it all! Have fun with your sewing! I'll pray for all the fitting nasties to go smoothly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Esther you are so fun, but please don't die!! The silk is actually a nuisance to with with as it enjoys wrinkling... Reminds me very much of linen. I got the blouse done tonight so the only thing left on the gold polka dot dress is the black sash!!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  3. Love, love the gold dots and red together, it feel particularly festive! Also love that blue gingham ensemble ~ *sigh* gingham... :D ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the festive feeling of the fabrics, Bonita! The scraps on my floor look so fun and happy together! Isn't that blue number just fabulous!!??
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  4. Love it! I think you will be pleased with your dots, the pattern will allow you to cut without concern for lining up typical dot pattern uniformity. Also the all over print just does something nice. I have a black blouse with crazy white dots and I always get compliments on my figure when I wear it- which I also find personally funny! :) the coat will be to die for! We have a satin coat to line in a floral print for Em.... I swoon over those inspiration images too! So much cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend!! That's another thing I was thinking about when picking out the gold dots...I don't have to line these up like I did on the blue with white polka dots dress!!! Hallelujah!!!! Now I have to see your black and white pd blouse! I can't wait to see Emily's coat!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  5. I really like the fabrics you chose, especially the gold dots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vivien! They are so fun for my eyeballs!!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanette! This is a super fun project!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete