To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Monday, May 26, 2014

A "Plain" Petticoat for the 1830s!

Today, I made a "plain" petticoat to go over the corded petticoat for my 1830s outfit.  During my research on corded petticoats, I read a wonderful article from Jennifer Rosbrugh titled: The Amazing Look of a Corded Petticoat.  She made a "plain" petticoat that she wore over her corded petticoats and the look was incredibly beautiful!  I decided that I needed one as well!  This was quite possibly the easiest garment I have EVER made!  It was weird.  Or at least it was after I sorted some things out...  

Here is the story in a nutshell.  I had purchased some thin white muslin to line my 1916 Suit-A-Long outfit and thought that since I needed to make the plain petti now, I would go ahead and use it.  Sooooo, I washed it to pre-shrink it and when I got it out of the washing machine, there were a bazillion little lint pills AAAALLLLLLLLL over it!  Right then!  I will put it in the dryer and the lint pills will come off!!  Right?  WRONG!!  Oooooo-K.  Well, then.  Let's get a razor blade out and shave our muslin!  Sounds reasonable.  I spent over an hour shaving the pills off and took it up to iron it.  After the first swipe of my hot iron, I decided that the muslin was waaaay too thin for the look I wanted for the plain petti (which is more than likely why I got it to line the Sew-A-Long suit).  So, I cut off a section of the 120" wide muslin I purchased this weekend and threw it in the washing machine.  During the washing and drying cycle, I re-hemmed the "quilted" petticoat that I made last year so that it would fit better under the corded petti.

First Petticoat:  Faux quilted petticoat.  I scored these fun flats at a thrift store! They had never been worn!  Huzzah!

Second Petticoat:  The corded petti of craziness!

Third Petticoat:  Deep hemmed plain petti

Emma all dressed up in her undies!  Laaaaaaaa!!!  

For the plain petticoat Jennifer suggested using 3 panels of 45" or 2 panels of 45" with an extra panel of 22".  I had purchased some 120" wide muslin so just used that.  I French seamed the back seam and put in a deep hem.  I don't know why I did the hem deep...I just thought it would look cool!

Tomorrow I tackle the skirt for the dress.  I can't wait to get started on the actual dress!  Laaaaaaa!

Be Blessed my friends!

g

8 comments:

  1. My dress mannequin would collapse under all those petticoats, but I see your's must be made of sterner stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know if she is sterner, but I have put a lot of weight on her in the past and she has born it wonderfully!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  2. It's making stuff like plain pettis that I seem to never do. Your set is most lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this is the first time I have done anything "plain"...and it was quite refreshing! Thank you for your lovely compliment! I love pretty white underthings!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  3. Exciting that things are progressing! It's nice to have quick and easy projects, too, sometimes.

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn! Yes, I am quite happy that things are moving along nicely...I am having some issues with the bodice of the dress...I had to sleep on what I had completed so far, but this morning things looked better!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete
  4. Hi Gina! You're such an inspiration to me and I love seeing your projects!!! I just wanted to let you know I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. I would love for you to accept it but I understand if you don't want to :) The details are on my blog here http://cherishingmyrole.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-liebster-awardor-two.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello McKenna!
      What a wonderful compliment you have paid me! Thank you so much! I would be honored to accept your nomination!
      Blessings!
      g

      Delete