To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Monday, June 3, 2013

1863 Second Mourning Dress Begins!!

For my mourning dress, I chose to use Simplicity 4510 for the bodice and Simplicity 1900 for the skirt.  I had to up size the bodice as when I purchased the pattern, I didn't have as much padding as I do now.  But low and behold, it worked!  I did not have one issue with the bodice.  I think the evil queen of Sewingland is on holiday, as there was no cursing during the whole construction process!  I don't know.  It's weird.  Is she lulling me into a false sense of security?  I have it!!  She is granting me a season of mercy since the previous two projects I started on are now packed away incomplete as the amount of frustration I was feeling was so great as to warrant blood pressure medication (ok, not really, but I as frustrated).  

Whatever the cause, the bodice went together without any hiccups!  Huzzah!!!



Simplicity 4510.  I love the way this bodice looks with the beautiful collar and undersleeves...I will be looking for an antique lace collar as they are just so beautiful!


Simplicity 4900.  The skirt is a must as I don't want to employ a yolk at the back of the skirt to make it long enough to go over my hoops.  


Ta da!!!  It worked!  No swearing involved!!!  And I am really loving the sleeves.  The only nod to any sort of manipulation of the dress fabric are the ruffles at the wrist and upper arm.  The buttons are antique ones that my Mama bought for me as a gift one Christmas.  I really wanted to use them, but they are glass and way too shiny for first mourning, hence the second mourning dress.  Instead of points at the center front and back, I chose to square off the waist as I am wanting to make a belt for the dress.  In all of the mourning photos of the '60s I have seen, a belt is very prevalent.


The dress is made of cotton.  I have a wonderful back story that I will be sharing once I have done a little more research into cotton and the 1860s....suffice it to say that in my real life, 11 yards of silk or wool is out of the question, but 11 yards of cotton, I am so there....at any rate the cotton absorbs the light and doesn't reflect it so I think it works well!

Now on to the skirt!!  Let's hope it goes together as well as the bodice!!





4 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I love it! Really beautiful! Look at those sleeve ruffles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Laura! So far, this dress is making my truly happy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love this!! I have no 1860s events coming up but now I want one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kat! I think you should invent an event so you can make a 60s mourning dress! You would look stunning in it!!

      Delete