To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Saturday, April 20, 2013

When in Stress...Fall Back!!

I hate stressing out.  It totally stresses me out.  I had the opportunity a couple of days ago to stress out and I accepted the invitation with great gusto!  It had nothing to do with politics, religion, family, money, or anything of great importance.  It centered around the draping of a 1912 dress that I have had on my "to do" list for a very long time.  It is a delicious pink confection that I wanted to make for an up coming event and since my sewing famine has ended, I thought I would get right on it!  I mean my corset went together without any fuss and I really LOVE how it turned out and AND I actually enjoyed making it (Huge shock!!!).  So, I figured while I was feeling happy and content about the experience of the corset, I would continue to ride the wave of joy.  Well, that trip was exceedingly short lived.  Like 2 hours short lived.  I made the underskirt just fine, put it on Emma and began draping the fantastic pink net lace.  Then I got stuck.  Like 4 wheel drive in the mud of the Idaho desert mud stuck.  And I freaked out.  I started sweating, my throat swelled, and my eyes started feeling like they were going to bulge out of my head!  (Heaven help me when there actually comes a time for "real" anxiety right??)  

After the two hours of stress, I said, "Right.  I am done with you stupid anxiety inducing dress!"  Well, actually, that is a rather nice version of what I was thinking.  Into the "to finish at a MUCH later date" box went my underskirt and beautiful pink net lace.  

Back to my faithful Pinterest boards and computer files I went in search of  a dress that would be less stress inducing.  Then I remembered.  One of the goals in my costuming life is to make sailor dresses from every silhouette from the Victorian Era to the 1950s.  Huzzah!!!  Que the "Hallelujah Chorus", rays of light and angels!!!  Where oh where art thou anxiety?  Ha!  You are banished evil fiend!!!  

I even have the cream dupioni and powder blue stripe sheet in my stash!!!  hahahahaha!!  How I was giddy with joy!  I even have the patterns!  I worked for most of the day on the skirt as I really want to enter it into The Historical Sew Fortnightly (Challenge #8: By the Sea) that The Dreamstress is hosting!!  I am sew excited!!!




Since I have very little fabric, I have chose the 1912 Sailor suit.  The inspiration I will mainly be working off of is this fabulous antique dress from Contentment Farm.  I love the look of it and the sleeves will be very nice for the time of year in which it will be worn!


More views of this fabulous dress can be found here..



Ah....my heart is so much more light and happy with this dress!  No worry or stress about how to drape anything!!


Instead of the ivory tabs like the original has, I am going with the powder blue stripe cotton sheet fabric!  It makes me happy!


The pattern I'm using has the side seam on the side instead of the back like the original.  At this point, I am not wanting to mutate the pattern any more than I am....Stress Free!!


I do think I am going to leave this open however....Maybe even put a ruffled panel of the dupioni underneath for cuteness!


View B of Butterick Pattern 4092 is what I used....Whoot!  Now to add the waist band and this baby is complete!!  Oh yah...and the ruffled panel if it needs it!

I love being stress free!!  Life is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment