To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Plus 4s...What?

So, the last Saturday of this month will be The Museum Comes To Life.  As I have said in previous posts, my family will be wearing 1912 fashion and partaking in a competitive croquet game.  I say competitive as I want the men in my family involved...a sport of old + competitiveness = men wanting to be involved!  Nice huh?  To that end, I wish my men to be adorned in fashion that gentlemen of the time would have worn.  Enter "Plus 4s".  What are those?  Well, Wikipedia has to say this of Plus 4s: 

"Plus fours are breeches or trousers that extend 4 inches (10 cm) below the knee (and thus four inches longer than traditional knickerbockers, hence the name). As they allow more freedom of movement than knickerbockers, they have been traditionally associated with sporting attire from the 1860s and onward, and are also particularly associated with golf."   




Isn't this fabulous?  I think it is so very cool to gaze upon!  


Another image of the Plus 4s.  So, I am dressing my guys in this!



I set about trying to find a nice fabric for Greg's new vest, but couldn't find one to my liking.  While at the Goodwill store, I came across this skirt and it screamed VEST!!!  So, I obeyed and purchased it.  


What I have so far.  I even made the 4 welt pockets and remembered why I loathe them!  They are so evil!! BUT!!!  I found a wonderful tutorial that helped me....wish I had this when I made Greg's first vest!


Fabulous!!


I found this wonderful linen jacket that will go over the vest.  Also found was a pair of light colored pants that will be turned into the plus 4s!!!  Woot woot!!  The transformation of pants into Plus 4s will follow in the near future!


Found this pith helmet at Deseret Industry.  Perfect!!  The fabric under the helmet may or may not be made into spats depending on how much time I have left.  

No comments:

Post a Comment