To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Regency Stovepipe Hat

Seriously, I think I have a problem.  Like, perhaps I need to join some sort of support group for this!  I cannot stop making hats!  I adore them!  I dream about them!  I see them in a movie, on the web, in a book, in a museum...and I start to salivate, my fingers begin to tingle, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my eyes dilate.  I can imagine myself standing up in a group of costumers and saying, "Hello, my name is Gina and I can't stop making hats."  I wonder if there is a pill for this affliction!  The worst thing?  I have hats that I don't have dresses for yet!!!!!!!  SICK!

Well, my latest lust attack was Lady Catherine de Burgh's stovepipe hat.  You remember her don't you.  From Pride and Prejudice.  The 1995 one.  I absolutely adore that particular one.  The costumes are so wonderful, lush, mesmerizing.  When I want to go into a costuming coma, I watch that one.  Anyway, I love Lady Catherine.  And her outfits.  I don't know what my fascination is with snitty women.  I adore Ruth Dewitt Bukater too.  Such snots, but what wonderful costumes!!  So, anyway, this hat that she wears to the Bennet abode to give Miss Lizzie a proper dressing down.....I LOVE it!  I love her whole outfit actually.  Such a rich color and the textures are wonderful.  

So, I spent most of the day, and half a roll of my husband's craft (er..I mean brown construction) paper getting the pattern just right.      


My Lady Catherine de Burgh...


Love the finger waves...


Oh yes...check out Lizzie's mustard gloves!!!  Cool! 


"Obstinate, headstrong girl!  I am ashamed of you!"

"I take no leave of you, Miss Bennet.  I send no compliments to your mother.  You deserve no such attention.  I am most seriously displeased."



Poor Miss Anne's hat is fabulous as well!  

All the Pride and Prejudice images are from



My version.  I don't think the diameter is the same nor the height, but I got tired of working on it...so this is where it shall stay!  I did use the brim pattern piece from Lynn McMaster's 1830s Romantic Period Bonnet for the brim.  Again, I was just beyond messing with it.  



The colors.  Teal Velvet and Ivory cotton jaquard.  This should be fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment