To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory. Isaiah 61:3

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Fabric Flowers

Now for making the flowers for my cloche and dress.  Of course I didn't take pictures during the construction phase...I was solely intent on completing everything on time for the underwear show...so I get to try out my verbal/directional skills here!!  hahahaha!!  This should prove to be entertaining!!


Right then...for the teal flowers, I envisioned little flower buds laying here and there upon my cloche.  So, again, I started playing around with the fabric.  I cut about a 2.5" piece of the narrow teal strip and folded each end (not the fold end and zig-zagged end, but rather the raw edges...) in and basted them so that the raw edges would not show.  

Next, I brought the now basted ends together (nice side outwards...folded side inside) and hand sewed a gathering stitch from top to bottom...zig-zag side being the bottom.  To make the front of the flower lower than the back of the flower, I tightened up a bit on the gathering stitch...not a lot mind you, then tied it off.

Taking a piece of scrap green taffeta, I just free hand cut out a shape of a leaf...Imagine if you will an infinity sign with pointy ends, and you have the leaf shape.  I just tacked that onto the bottom of the flower and you have my flower!



Flower with corsage pin for the stamen.  In the future, I think I'll use that idea, but for this, I put beads on a piece of thin wire for the stamen....


Five little flower petals sewn together and beaded for my dress.

Anyway, how was that?  Did you understand my incoherent ramblings or was it as clear as mud?  hahahahaha!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment